This site is for sharing the Pledge to Asylum Seekers, written by two Australian writers who wanted to create something that would generate empathy, humanity and hope.
We wrote the Pledge to bring some perspective to an issue that has become lost in politics. We hope that it will move people’s hearts, demonstrate the depth of compassion felt by both individuals and groups, and inspire further action.
Don’t forget to let us know you’ve signed the Pledge!
This Pledge has no political affiliations. It simply asks for the fair and just treatment of asylum seekers who come from desperate and vulnerable situations.
It supports kindness and understanding, and it acknowledges that this is a two way street: that we have a responsibility to assist and support people seeking asylum in Australia, and that those who come here have a responsibility to respect our values and contribute to our diverse community.
There is a rising groundswell of support to change the current hard line approach to asylum seekers, to find a better way that acknowledges people’s basic human rights.
What that way is, we don’t personally know. But we hope that those who sign the Pledge will think deeply about how we can do this better, act in whatever way they feel they can to make a difference, and find the humanity that lives within us all. And share their stories here!
If this resonates with you, please download the Pledge and use it as a catalyst to make a difference:
- Print it, sign it and display it somewhere public;
- Let us know you’ve signed so your name can be added to the list of ‘pledgers’ (photos would be great too!);
- Share a link to this site amongst your networks;
- Like and follow the Facebook page;
- Send us any ideas for additional content, especially for the ‘Take action’ page (if you’re a group supporting refugees or asylum seekers we’re happy to add your details); and/or
- Talk about and share the Pledge as a way to generate further conversations.
Download the Pledge:
- A3 format for printing and framing (use colour settings!), or
- A4 format for printing on personal printers (use colour settings if possible).
The Pledge is free to download, however we would appreciate it if you would make a donation to support the work being done to help and advocate for asylum seekers both within Australia and in detention offshore, much of it by volunteers. But don’t donate to us, donate directly to the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre in Melbourne.